Caribbean pepper pot soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli deseeded and finely chopped, or 2 hot Thai red chillies, chopped with seeds
- 2 red peppers cored, deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 200 g potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 600 ml gluten-free beef stock
- salt and cayenne pepper
- 200 g rump steak
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until softened and just beginning to turn golden.
- Stir in the chilli, red peppers, garlic, carrot, potatoes and herbs and fry for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stock, then season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Discard the herbs, then taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Rub the steak with the oil, then season lightly with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan and when hot add the steak and fry for 2–5 minutes on each side until cooked to your liking.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
- Ladle the soup into 6 bowls and top with the steak slices.
For prawn & spinach pepper pot soup,make the soup as for Caribbean pepper pot soup using 600 ml gluten-free fish stock in place of the beef stock. Simmer for 30 minutes, then add 200 g raw peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen, and 125 g spinach. Cook for 3–4 minutes until the prawns turn pink and are cooked through and the spinach is just wilted. Calories per serving 271